Saturday, February 13, 2016

Reflection on Service Learning Activity Part 1

This is a three-part series blog entry of my participation in our class service learning as part of our requirements in this course. The three-part series blog will focus on my experiences and reflections before, during and after service learning.

My Personal Dilemma 
Upon learning that we are required to have our own service learning activity, I knew that I had a lot of ideas as what I've mentioned one of my previous blog entry.[1] However the problem, even during my college days, was where do I find a place to have an outreach? I know it seemed to be weird in terms of thinking that there are millions of people who would need our help. I felt that it is so difficult to find any contact even if organizations are already posting their contact details. Honestly, I do not know if is it because I just do not have the courage to inquire or to deal with people, which I know it's not my forte up to this point. I knew I did became a president of an organization, but I do admit that without my co-officer's help, I could not get our organization going. I was blessed that my Outreach Liaison Officer is so dedicated to her work that frankly it was easy for us to conduct an outreach activity that is unique such as conducting seminars for the custodians of the school.

Fortunately, one of our groupmates Leann was able to work in a company which does a quarterly outreach. She mentioned that the company does medical and dental mission in partnership with Makati Medical Center. I'm looking forward for this outreach as it would be a different kind as I'd gone with the usual and typical outreach. Of course we cannot just barge in joining other company's outreach without giving something in return. In this case, Leann suggested that we are to sell pastries as part of our fundraising. When she mentioned that I was somehow trembling deep inside thinking nobody would buy the product since my colleagues would like to get it for free instead. Perhaps this is the result of my thinking that I'm not good at selling products or not assertive enough to sell one even if I know the product that I'm going to sell is for a good cause. It was like I could not sell to save my life that is why I never really dared to enter into the Marketing field. In addition it's like I would like to tell my classmate, can I be the one who will purchase it, even if it would mean I would spend more then I would give it to people for free since I'm going to do it for a good cause anyway?

Renewed Hope
What I thought would be a smooth flowing outreach activity headed by one of our groupmates, we learned that the company rescheduled their outreach activity in which the said date would not make it before the term ends. Knowing this, I felt that we have to get back to square one in which we have to find another place to have an outreach. I did try to look at a lot of outreach activities that is either accessible or easily to achieve without too much commitment. I know this seemed to be uncaring or just getting the job done. However, I should also be aware that we should keep our words, especially all of us are working and we have various sets of life roles to fulfill.

Upon looking at the outreach activities, I know that I should eliminate possible place to outreach that required a long-time service or would only accept donations without us conducting the service itself. With this, I knew that the only hope I got was to target an orphanage. 

This is where my hope was reawaken. I happened to browse through my news feed on Facebook, when I saw a post of one of my former classmates in college spent her birthday in an orphanage called the White Cross Orphanage. When I saw the pictures, I was amazed that she was able to do that alone. I know a lot of people are already doing this on their birthday, but the number of children she catered to was astonishing for me. I may not know the level of her financial status, but I am sure that she made an effort in putting more money and time to make these kids happy. I told my fellow groupmates if she could serve 61 kids all by herself, why can't we? So this is the time that I messaged my classmate and inquired about her outreach. Fortunately, she was able to message me back by giving me the contact details and informing us what we need to do. I felt so blessed that God used somebody as an instrument where she was able to meet the criteria that we need such as accessible location, a service that would not require too much commitment in terms of time and a target population that all of us would like to cater to.

The question now is, would I get back on my old self by inviting fear into me or should I gather up my courage to speak to the contact person for the group?


Part 2 Click Here

Footnote:

No comments:

Post a Comment