Friday, January 15, 2016

Introduction

Course Impression
Lasallian Business Leadership, Ethics and CSR. This is the course title that I'm currently taking right now in the MBA program. The first thing that I noticed in the title is the CSR or what some people called Corporate Social Responsibility. The first time I heard the term CSR when I was in college as was introduced by my then moderator of our school organization. She invited a speaker who could enlighten us on this topic especially now-a-days companies are starting to realize that maximizing profit can no longer be the only purpose, but to also ensure that their decisions does not affect the people or community negatively (e.g. environmental concerns). If one will notice in the stock market. Companies such as Semirara Mining and Power Corporation (PSE: SCC) was being accused of not having proper safety for the workers working in the mining site. [1]

School Organization Affiliation and Outreach Experiences
Upon learning through my MBA classmates that this course engages in outreach-related activities, this actually made me reminisce the times that we are asked to be involved with outreach-related activities during in college whether I was the one assisting the activity or leading the activity.
This is me telling stories to the kids during one of our NSTP service.
As a Scholastican during my college days, social concern is a huge emphasis that the school is trying to impose to us. They really made sure that we are immersed with these kinds of activities so that we would be able to help and relate to those who are in need. Such as having weekly NSTP service to the kids involved or teaching kids in public schools.

Aside from NSTP and Lay Apostate as part of our school requirements, our school also encourage school organizations to have an outreach activity. By being affiliated and at the same time being a president in a school organization that its primary purpose is to be environmentally conscious[2], we are trained to spend at a minimum since it would break the vision of our organization which is to maximizing things by using limited amount of resources. Also, we do not have any luxury compared with other organizations that can impose a fee to their members since we are aware that interest organizations  cannot put pressure on their members, which is why it is essential for our organization to factor all aspects whether it is the environment as a whole, company reputation (e.g. to ensure that the products they sell do not contain chemicals), the financial and time burden that we might impose to our members.
Environment Society members teaching kids on how to
 make their own notebooks using recycled papers.
Kids pasting papers using recycled
materials
During my stints in various school organizations, I was engaged in different kinds of outreach activities such as tree planting, coastal cleanup, visiting rural areas and hospitals, teaching kids how to create notebooks and pen holders out of recyclable materials, and giving seminars for the school custodians.

Reflection
Having an outreach activity is difficult and tiring, especially when you are the person in-charge of those activities. During college days, I just realized that students who held positions such as outreach liaison officer should be commended, especially when she did a great job in executing the activity smoothly. As an assistant outreach liaison officer in another school organization, [3] I realized how difficult it was to find a group of people or an organization where you could lay the activities and also dealing with different people is actually difficult, especially I'm not a people-oriented person. Despite these challenges I used to face, I knew that my effort will be translated into a good one as I was able to help and put a smile on other people's face.

Since it has been a long time that I haven't involved in outreach-related activities, it makes me feel excited that through my experiences in college and to feel satisfied that you were able to help other people in need, which hopefully would become helpful as I impart my ideas and suggestions to my group.

Footnote
[1]http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/524006/news/regions/ocd-9-workers-dead-after-semirara-mining-mishap
[2]The name of the school organization is Environment Society, which I used to be affiliated for five years by holding various positions such as President, Internal Vice President and Treasurer.
[3]Business Information Technology Society is the name of the school  organization, which I used to be affiliated for two years by being a member and an assistant outreach liaison officer.

No comments:

Post a Comment